Monday, October 03, 2011

Try explaining this to the boss

Saturday 1st October

Ah Saturday, my unofficial communication day with everyone. Despite the fact most people are 8 hours ahead of me, which limits their time, unless I wake up earlier. But come on, it's the weekend, Who's gonna get up early on a weekend.

Well in this instance, me. With the wrath of the police stil ringing in my ears, i barely had 4 hours sleep. I recieved a text from one of last nights partygoers. Apparently the host is in a LOT of trouble. she's being accused of providing to minors, which would be disaster for her since she only has 3 quarters to go before graduation. the plan was to meet with her and just get our heads around what had actually happened.

To protect identities and potential incrimination, I will say no more on that subject.

By the time we had finished, it was 9.30am, which gave me plenty of time to scrub up well and prepare for the incoming calls.

11am: A call home to 'daddy', hiding most of the details of the night before. hopefully things will have blown over by the time this is read

11:50am: A call to the grandparents. the last one for 4/5 weeks while they go on holiday. (I'm not jealous, this is a working holiday for me, and mine lasts longer)

12:30pm An online text chat to 'Auntie' Chrissy on how i'm doing and inviting me to meet the family in 3 weeks time and also an invite for Thanksgiving. I don't believe i have given them the credit they deserve, because Christine and Greg are two of the best people I have ever met.

In fact, while we're on the subject, i'd like to share part of an e-mail i recieved a few days after arriving in California. The e-mail is from my mum, and the first time i read it, i cried for ages. Even as i write this now, theres a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye

"forgot to tell you - last week when you were all down at breakfast I prayed that god would look after you and get you to your Uni safe & sound.  On the way from the airport, dad was messing with all the radio channels & eventually settled on Magic FM. within 5 mins they played Boyzone 'No matter what'  - that's the song we always associate with you. i knew then it was gods way of answering my prayer and he did + with bells on by meeting Chrissy !!


Now that's faith !!"


Thank you Mum for that, I'm sure you have no objection to me repreating this. Moving on, before I flood the floor.....

The majority of the rest of the day was, unfortunately wasted away. I managed to post 1 blog update, and about 200 words of the 1000 word essay due in 3 days. By 7pm, i was almost doing nothing. Almost, though, i was stil typing about a word a minute between all the texts I was recieving. 4 of us planned to drive down to the nearby diner, which would take 3 minutes by car or 20 minutes walking.

FarmerBros, sort of like...nothing we have in the UK, sort of like a fast food / cafe really. after 5 minutes of staring at the menu, i suddenly felt homesick. Why you might ask? The simple answer

"FISH AND CHIPS"

$9 for a large portion (also large portion in the UK) or $12 for a mini-platter (super-sized portion). After realising they used Pollock rather than cod or haddock, i went for a signature bacon cheeseburger, WITH SALAD, (mum wanted me to eat healthily). The actual bowls of salad, not the small one that came with the meal had almost the same amount of calories as the burger AND were more expensive. They really don't want you to eat healthily do they?

(just a picture of the 4 of us eating away)
(from L-R, Zack, Me, Roxanne (Roxy) and John (Juan the 3rd)

After 2 hours of chatting away, abusing the free-refill drink policy, we decided to head home and have an early night, which once again resulted in a 3 hour binge of online games and Youtube, Fun fun fun.......

No comments:

Post a Comment