Sunday, October 09, 2011

Leaves a sour taste in your mouth

Friday 7th October

Today is an adventure, Or at least it was, but i hadn't planned any of them. A late morning wake up, was abruptly interrupted by a call.
"Hey Phil, u wanna come mess around"
(a mess around doesn't mean cause mischief and certainly doesn't represent a sleazy club)
"Yeah sure, i don't really have anything planned"
(semi-true, i just had a project and a lot of reading to do)

Meeting up with Amaka and Roxy, we headed down to CVS (the American BOOTS), after which we went next door to the smoothie shop. Now I had been here before and got a 32oz (about 940ml) MEGA smoothie. Since that filled me up last time, and that i only had a granola bar at this point; I decided to go for the same. This time i was allowed a free 'boost' to super-charge my smoothie for free. Being that i had mainly chicken and beef related meals with minimal salad, i opted for the Vita-Boost, just so i don't collapse from deprivation. I'm clear of one C, i don't wanna be clear of Vit C. (apolagies for the health joke. Like any medicine, it's in bad taste)

In addition, I was offered a free shot of Wheatgrass (I say free, it was paid for by my guests). Wheatgrass is claimed to be a super-food which is equivalent to a kilo of vegetables. So i had a 32oz Big Berry Combo AND a 2oz shot of wheatgrass. Despite necking the slimy green shot of wheatgrass, even after the 32oz smoothie, i could still taste the wheatgrass aftertaste. At this point I though i would have the mouth of a sheep. I just need to walk on all 4 and grow a lot more hair and i'd be set :)

A few hours after the BAAAAAAAD wheatgrass incident, we decided to dip into the pool. Given that it was 82'F/ 27.5'C it was a good idea. However the only fact we didn't consider was the pool. Normally its semi-heated to about 70'F, but today it was roughly 50'F. Needless to say, we didn't stay long in fear of hypothermia.

So spending 2 hours just chatting by the poolside, but not actually in the pool, we discussed.... pretty much nothing. There was some talk about degrees, the price of gas (petrol) and somewhere down the line, a turkey sandwich found down the back of a sofa. Once the sun set at about 7pm, 7 of us decided to get changed from our now dry swimsuits, and meet up for a 'Diner date'. This meant we'd all be walking 15/20 mins down to a diner, just to eat, which personally was a good idea, since i was both hungry and needed a short walk to increase this hunger.

It eventually paid off when i visited one of the places i have been told so much about. Carl's Jr, favo(u)red by students for the burger and fries. Since it was highly reccomended (and i'm in this for the long haul) it was worth a try.
(in Texan accent) For $9 i got a burger the size of Nantucket and sizzling steak fries, yeeeaaaa haaaarr
(as myself) For $8.29 + tax, i got a pretty big burger (double cheese 'n' bacon burger) and chunky fries.

Overall: it was pretty darn good. but the night wasn't over. 2 of the 7 didn't eat a burger, but instead went to a 'frozen yog(h)urt' shop. If they didn't kill off their hearts by eating a burger, they were definately gonna do it by consuming soft ice cream topped with maple & caramel syrup, gummi bears and fudge pieces. Despite being almost half the price, there was probably the same amount of calories and the same amount of flavo(u)r

By 10pm, we all had our fill, and retreated to our own living quarters. At my building however, by the time i got back, a fire alarm had just been turned off. Everyone waiting outside just to find out that, AND I QUOTE "We'd like to say thank you for your patience, you can blame someone in 6211 who BURNT NOODLES"

Now i'm no masterchef, but HOW THE HELL CAN YOU BURN NOODLES. and what is even more surprising was that as far i can tell, 4 Asian students live there. I probably would have expected that from either myself or some of the Europeans down the hall for me, but not the Asians. (I see them as great cooks, and please don't mistake me for a racist, because I am NOT.)

Mabye I should just calm down and review my progress later.......

No comments:

Post a Comment