Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The journey of 70 odd miles begins with a single train ride


Friday 21st October.

Today I’m heading over to see my adopted Auntie and Uncle. But of course, no morning is complete without the morning workout. Hopefully today there would be no more earthquake drills to interrupt me. I managed to crack out another 1000 calories, a small preparation for the weekend ahead. 

Having to pack for the weekend, I wasn’t sure whether to pack for 2 nights or 3. I decided to go for broke and went for 3. That way if I only stayed for 2, I’d have a spare if needed. I had been advised to take down my laptop ‘incase I got bored’. Yeah as if I’d get bored………I’ll take it anyway, maybe I can update the blog at some point. 

My friend Zack offered to drive me down to Riverside, and for those aware of the song, it is the place based on “Riverside M#####F#####”. I stood in line for over 10 minutes where only 2 ticket machines were working and a queue of over 20 people occupied them. The wait resulted in me going to the machine that has just run out of paper for tickets. 

On the train ride down, which took a little over an hour, I managed to see some exquisite scenery. Rolling hills of green and brown, posh and not-so-posh houses and a freight train which (and I kid you not) had at least 120 carriages, which delayed us for about 10 minutes. During this time, I realized I’d forgotten to bring my camera. (EPIC FAIL) 

4:35pm and I reached Santa Ana, where Christine was waiting for me, but she was in a rush to head over to the library before it closed at 5pm. After a 10 minute drive through the village like town of Tucson, we reached the library, where we picked up the audio book she had been waiting for. Just after, one of the funniest things ever happened. I went t’ toilet, and half way through emptying the tank, I hear…

“Oh my, I’m in the wrong toilet”

I turned around, and funnily I saw Christine, who had turned as red as a tomato and ran out just as fast as she could. That turned out to be a quiet drive from the library. Not to worry, we only went down the road 5 minutes to the family home. Christine was there to take some items since her mum had passed away a few months ago. If you’ve ever seen The Walton’s, that’s the sort of house they have, but slightly smaller. 

After ½ hour rummaging for stuff and another ½ hour driving back to the real home, passing Disney World and the LA Angels stadium, we arrived in Whittier. And lo n behold, the sight of my weekend hotel. It definitely puts my parents’ house to shame, and I thought that was big. Let’s kick the tour off, by opening the automatic garage door, which normally would hold 2 cars, but due to the amount of rubbish inside, can’t even hold 1 at the moment. Walking through the garage and the small utility room, comes a HUGE room, an open planned kitchen, dining room and living room, with a 60’ screen. However it has been stressed that I mention this isn’t HD, but who cares, It’s 60’.

Upstairs there are 3 bedrooms, 2 relaxation rooms, 1 for Christine and 1 for Greg and a 5* bathroom. I was put in the guest room, with a new $800 mattress (you can really tell the difference). An hour of unpacking and catching up on American news, waiting for Greg to come home from work and they decided to take me to Disney world. 

Before anyone gets excited, we only went to a restaurant, on the site. It didn’t take long for us to get lost however, and parking, even at half 8 in the evening is a nightmare.  Getting to the restaurant, ESPNzone we encountered an Elvis impersonation band who were absolutely brilliant. Because we spent time watching this, it meant we had to wait ½ hour to be seated. Not to worry, there was an arcade above the restaurant with plenty of games to amuse us.

Me and Greg decided to have a basketball shoot off. You may be aware of the basketball hoops you get in arcades, where you get 40 seconds to score as many points as possible. Until this point my highest score was about 30. Greg went first and delivered a score of 27. This put me under pressure to match or beat my best score. Luckily I managed to pull a 32. Greg smiled and went up again, achieving a 35. There’s no pleasing these Americans, but happily enough, I hit a record 40. We were due to eat in 5 minutes, so we decided to end this once and for all. Me vs. Greg at the same time. And what do you know we had a draw, at 41 each. No way could I beat this. We went again, and true enough, The Americans had their way and beat me 43:40.

Guess you can’t have everything, but we certainly can when it comes to food. In a sports bar, where you have a visual on over 10 different sporting events, (mostly American Football) and plenty of wings to split between the three of us.  Christine got a salad, (well done) Greg got a full rack of BBQ ribs (sensible) and I got the Triple (cheese) Double (burger) Burger with mammoth fries (tasty). I barely managed to finish these, when we decided to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment