Friday, October 21, 2011

THE DAY OF HELL

Tuesday 18th October

Today is the biggest day so far. For those of you who have skipped the boring blog updates listed previous, well done. For those of you who have read the blog, I have a mid-term AND a presentation to deliver back to back. This is so serious, i'm not even going to the gym this morning.

The day began at 07:30am, and non-stop revision was in order. Before that, i'd be putting the final touches to the presentation and adding the last minute changes that Nergis sent over. As you can probably guess, I was incredibly tired, but luckily I had been to Wal-mart the night before and stocked up on essentials. Out of this, 3 items are worth mentioning. As part of the presentation includes a game for which we are offering prizes of chips (crisps) and granola bars. But the real kicker was an 8 pack of '5 hour energy', a super caffeine shot, equivalent of a standard Red Bull can in a 2 oz bottle.

08:30am to 10:30am - preparing the rest of the presentation, and getting the prizes in order. instead of simply offering the prizes, I decided to take it one step further. As such, I produced this...


The very observant, will notice that this is just a box with a hole in the top and wrapped in a pillowcase, also with a hole in it. It also says "Group 5 Box of Mystery" because we're group 5 and it's a mystery box. Quite simple really.

After 12pm, and a bite to eat, it was time to start the last bit of revision for my first mid-term exam.

MID-TERM - MARKETING 305 - 1pm

Now I won't be going into detail, incase it infinges any privacy content *blah blah blah*

A total of 46 questions - 35 multiple choice with 5 possible options. and 11 short essay questions. All to be completed within 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Personal opinion - Went fairly well,
Estimated grate - 80% (C+)

I barely had any time to head back to my room, gather the materials for the presentation, when it was time to set off the the next class.

4pm came and the class started. We proceded to spend an hour going through the chapter material and a brief discussion from the end of module project and how much Chinese collaboration I'd need to complete it.

PRESENTATION - MANAGEMENT 405 - 5pm

The presentation kickstarted with my memory stick not being accepted by the computer. A whole 2 minutes went by and finally I got the presentation loaded. Matt went easily through the case study overview, Brissette explained the decisions to be made and Nergis breezed through the conditions and criteria of these decisions. Now we come to my part, which came in 2 parts.

We continued with a small role play, in which I played the narrator, explaining how decisions to change mono/polychronic cultures and different cultural contexts. However from there, it all went downhill. Although i managed to get through the presentation, I froze up at the beginning of my speech and it threw me off the whole thing.

I could see my grade slipping away, but it was time for the game, the game of Jeopardy we had created, with the prize handouts. I knew I had to do brilliant in this or I would be penalised even more.
I'd seen a couple of actual Jeopardy, so i knew how to actually host the game.

"Hello I'm Alex Trebek and this is Jeopardeeeeeee"

I pulled out one of my best acting performances, even stringing in a couple of jokes and the inevitable "We'll be right back after these messages"

The game went down an absolute treat, everyone thoroughly enjoyed it, even the professor, who sent the group an e-mail the day after. A very good effort, although this is a quote from that e-mail focusing on my contribution

"Phil – great volume and enthusiasm, very dynamic, has wealth of knowledge, needs to be to the point, confusing at times – as sentences were broken and not well articulated, stuttering, speaks really fast – should slow down. Made up for presentation, with superb game."

The mixed review, was spot on. The presentation was not my best case, but i don't think it was a disaster. 

After this, i had another class, which doesn't need explaining. After finishing at 7.45pm, I just wanted to collapse on my bed (after eating of course) However I had literally just walked into my room, when I was invited to a 'happy hour'. Of course I could really use a stiff one, but of course, I have 6 weeks and 2 days before I can drink legally. It was however an awareness event of the dangers of alcohol and the drinks were just slushies and pomegranate juice. 

11pm, and I headed back to my room, because 1. I was tired and 2. there was a peer review I had to complete about the group, due in an hour. 

Juts finishing in time, I finally managed to go to bed jut after 12pm (an early night in contrast to my previous nights)

"And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day"

No comments:

Post a Comment