Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Quarter Warmdown


Sunday 11th December

Now that the major fun has been had, it’s time to wind down before my return to the UK. The next few days would be very slow paced, but not without a couple of twists and turns. The lunchtime run saw me and Zack drive down to the new In and Out burger restaurant. However today saw a HUGE twist, since Zack felt brave enough to hand me the keys. This is it, my first drive in the US!

Bearing in mind that Zack drives a manual truck, this wouldn’t be too much of a problem, just that all the controls except the pedals would be reversed. The plan was a simple drive down to the I215 and down a few miles to the exit on 2nd/5th street. Everything went off without a hitch……until we found that the 2nd/5th street exit was closed for refurbishment. This resulted in a slightly longer drive down to the next exit and back through the streets.

The maze navigated, we parked up and entered the newly built restaurant, and it’s such an improvement over the previous restaurant. Looks just like a 1950’s diner, in so many ways. After getting our fill, we headed back to campus. Zack drove back this time, since I thought one drive was enough. Zack somehow missed the turning onto the freeway and got us lost in the unpleasant suburbs of gangland San Bernardino.

After finally finding our bearing through the seedy underbelly of San Bernardino, we made it back to campus, where I said my temporary goodbyes to Zack, (won’t be seeing him until I get back) and I began my 3 days in isolation, with hardly anyone to talk to and the food court no longer open meant I had to walk at least 15 minutes to get anything to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment