Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A day in the life of a gorgeous TV


Thursday 15th December

Refreshed after sleeping in a much better bed, I needed to get back into some form of fitness regime. I’m gonna look like a rolling blob if I don’t pick it up again. So I borrowed Chrissy’s exercise bike for half an hour, working up a bit of a sweat as I did. I’d been out of shape for nearly a week now and you can already notice L

For the rest of the day I’d planned to catch up on the blog. At this stage I was nearly 3 weeks behind, and the only excuse was that I was too lazy to get it done before. Despite allocating 6 hours to work on the blog I got at most 1 ½ hours. The culprit: the 70’ TV which was almost hypnotic. I’m still way behind, but theres no time to lollygag, I have a party to go to.

Chrissy had a works office party, which was supposed to be 80’s themed. Of course, being born in 1990 is a bit of a bummer and I decided not to dress up. Two reasons: 1. I’m a child of the 90’s 2. I didn’t have anything to wear. It didn’t really matter since Chrissy wouldn’t dress up either and Greg would meet us there when he finished work.

The party was in the middle of nowhere. Albeit it’s America so that just means “IN THE MIDDLE OF FREAKING NOWHERE!!!”. If it wasn’t for the sat-nav and my quick reaction to the tiny street we needed to go down, we’d have been circling for hours. Greg had less success, he missed the turning completely and was at least a mile down the road before he knew something was wrong.

Chrissy thought that only 50 or so people would attend, since the event isn’t normally populated

And she was dead wrong

The place was heaving, there must have been at least 250 people there. We just managed to grab a seat next to the stage before the activities began. A simple game to decide who would eat first was first on the list. Each table had a card and they had to raise that card in the air when they knew what the jumbled up name of a Christmas carol was.
e.g eijnlg elbls = Jingle Bells
e.g dgo stre ey mryre neenmgtle = God rest ye merry Gentlemen
…you get the idea
After 6 attempts the DJ held off for a few minutes to let the queue die down. That’s when our table decided to make our move and illegally join the back of the queue. They had a wide range of appetizers and entrées from chicken fried rice and spinach rolls to Pollock in white wine sauce and veg lasagna. Knowing I’d only get one run at this, I piled my plate incredibly high.

While eating, this also gave me an opportunity to meet some of Christines co-workers. I’ve forgotten most of the naes (silly me) but I do remember Chris, who hosts a politics radio show, just like my old love show. I also met Alistair, a Brummie by childhood, but now an American (good on ya). I also bumped into Liz again (woot)

After the food came the ‘door prize ceremony’ where sponsors of World Vision (the company) donate gifts to be won by names picked out of a hat. Thiese gifts weren’t just some cheap novelty item like a $2 squeaky toy, They ranged from gift cards (25 -> 500 Dollors [wow] to Ipods and ipads and the best prize was a week in a 5* Mexico resort. They picked the names and I knew I wouldn’t get picked, which is a real shame since I could really do with any of the prizes offered. Unfortunately, Chrissy didn’t win anything, although Liz did win an ipod nano 8gb [gratz]

Prizes over, it was time for some dancing. Not really my scene where a lot of middle aged women danced to some 80’s tunes. If I wanted that, I’d go to Flares on a Saturday night! By 9:15 however, most of the people had left, leaving only the younger generations to dance it away. Strutting my stuff like some hyperactive monkey, the party eventually finished at 10pm, leaving just the final goodbyes to Chrissy’s friends and heading home, taking the proper routes this time :p

No comments:

Post a Comment