Sunday, November 27, 2011

Navigating the 3D maze

Tuesday 22nd November
Today was the day I’d sort out what I’d be doing for the next quarter. Unlike Universities in the UK, you pick the classes per quarter, not once a year. I’d already been able to register for one of the 3 courses needed for the winter quarter, since the course requires no pre-requisites. However the other two required certain pre-requisites, which could be fulfilled, but because I’m an international student, I don’t have the EXACT prerequisites.
ECON 430 – International Economics – No pre-requisites
MKTG 410 – Consumer behavior – MKTG 305 and junior status. (Completing MKTG 305 now, but the system doesn’t recognize me as a junior. This was a simple act of getting up to the 4th floor, explaining the situation and getting them to add me)
ECON 322 – Managerial Economics – ECON 200, 202, 335 and MATH 120
This one was the kicker. The perquisites weren’t really too much of a problem, since 200 and 202 were covered in both years 1 and 2 along with 120. 335 has been covered in year 2 although I could potentially do with a quick refresher before I start. That wasn’t the problem though, the real problem was getting to the economics department. The Social sciences building is renowned around the campus for being ‘the building with the hole’.
This basically means that floors 1 and 2, you can’t access the smaller section, without going up to the 3rd floor and then going back down another set of stairs just to access the lower floors. It took literally about half an hour to find the office and make my case. Luckily, the case made was a lot easier than finding the department.
This gave me enough time to squeeze a gym session before my classes. 6 hours of boredom, in which the only worthy news to share is that my grade for my 2nd Marketing midterm is 87% (B+) slightly better than my first grade.
The rest of the day was spent preparing for my impending Thanksgiving experience……

No comments:

Post a Comment