Saturday, September 24, 2011

Whats an American classroom?

Thursday 22nd September

As much as i would like it to never end, the fun times do have a time-consuming cost. all the preperation, all the arranging and the navigating around the campus endlessly have come to this, The start of classes.

The day began with 2 more important matters, the USA phone, which had been charging overnight and the meal plan, which couldn't be obtained because i didn't have my student I.D. The phone was easy, just go onto a website, punch in a few numbers (not literally, i kinda like this laptop) and you'd be good to go.

Success! I now have an american phone. It may be bog-standard, but it makes and recieves calls; all that I want from it while i'm here. moving onto the I.D and now that 48 hours had passed, i could get it. Waiting in line for obtaining the I.D seemed to toake forever, but it soon died down. I presented my identification (UK driving license). The attending clerk simply looked at me, then back at the I.D with a look that suggested "what the hell is this?". this was quickly followed by the cue to sit down and take the photo that would be placed on the card.

Quickly sorting my hair, I heard "look at the camera, on the count of 2. 1 and 2"
'Click'
After a minute of printing, I finally had it, my Coyote One card, my student I.D, printing card, meal-plan card and free bus pass all on a single piece of plastic.

I then rushed over to the other side of campus to get my meal plan that i'd bought 3 days previous, but couldn't get (didn't have the Coyote One). After a 7 minute walk in 32'C heat, it only took 2 clicks of the admin team to sort me out. Now i'd have to walk all the way back and try it out. I thought all the work i put in deserved a special meal, A double cheeseburger with fries AND onion rings AND unlimited soda. This time i showed my C1 card and didn't pay a cent, rather than hand over a $10 and be astounded at the fact i'd get less than $3 change for a lesser meal.

That meal seemed to last for a LONG time, because when i'd finished, i had 15 mins to my first ever USA lecture. Bearing in mind that the campus is quite large, it took me 5 mins to walk up to the Jack Brown Hall, another 5 minutes to find room 140 and 5 minutes to settle in and prepare. This was it, my first taste of American Education.

Professor J Ryan, MKTG (Marketing) 305: 2pm -> 3:50pm (JB140)

The lesson started with an introduction to Marketing and all the principles that would be covered. This quickly turned to an introduction by each student. we went up and down the rows, and i was one of the last to speak. Turns out there are a lot of people from the local area or other parts of California. Some Germans, Canadians and a few Chinese. It was soon my turn....

"Hi, i'm Phil and i'm an exchange student from England"

"OOOOOOH" came the reply of the class and the professor, who then proceded to use me as an idea 'bouncer' where for the benefit of the class, I became the comparison tool for American and non-American companies. Sure it's a great way to get involved in the class, (which is apparently good for improving grades) but thinking on the spot isn't one of my stronger sports. Nevertheless i'm looking forward to this class.

This class finished at 3pm rather than 3:50pm, which gave me time to refresh back at my flat. When I left the class, Glorious sunshine and for the first time in 5 days, clouds in the sky. When I came back out 1/2 hour later, light rain and 40mph winds. I just made it back to the classroom before it developed into what must surely feel like a low rated hurricane.

Professor V Gupta MGMT (management) 405 4pm ->5:50pm JB140 (same room - hahaha)

Completely different to the previous lesson, the lesson was mainly spent putting us into groups and talking about study abroad, where the class proceded to ask me and 2 german students about study abroad (yeah like i knew anything after just 4 1/2 days in the country). The Groups were used to prepare us for the upcoming group assignments. I was put in Group 5, which would present its findings on October 18th, the same day i apparently have a Mid-term exam in MKTG 305 (bad times)

Theres 2 American lads, a hispanic female and a German female, who i'd already met through my German flatmate Adrian. Plenty of coursework to keep me out of trouble for a long time

Professor S Vishnarm FIN (finance) 313 6pm -> 7:50pm JB258

Yes you have read correctly, I have 6 hours back to back, which wouldn't be too bad it was like 10 to 4, but 2 till 8? suppose i'd have to soldier on. This course looks and sounds fairly easy, since the first lesson was spent primarily on the syllabus. As long i read the textbook (which hasn't been officially announced yet) refreshed my memory of 1st year Accounting and Finance i'd do just fine.

By 8pm, i'd reached my room and was shattered. But what better way to liven up than by meeting with your buddies to make paper lanterns. an hour later, and lots of wasted ink &paper later, this is what i'd finally been able to make

After taking the lantern back to my room, we all split up to meet up at 10pm at the Village Quad for
"THE MOST AWESOMEST, BESTEST, GREATEST, ULTIMATE GAME OF FREEZE TAG" (words published in the welcome week leaflet)

Without going into details, it was simply an hour of running around avoiding people, which proved to be very tiring indeed. This was enough to make me very tired, so i managed to stagger back home, still gasping for breath, where i pretty much collapsed onto my bed and slept like a baby

No comments:

Post a Comment