Monday, September 19, 2011

The First full day

First day is (almost) over. As I write this it's 7pm, and theres a final event scheduled for 11pm, which will keep me busy for a while :)

(the following times occur in Pacific time, not London time, for clarification)
After waking up at 6am, after having 10 hours of jet-lag reducing sleep, I was desperately trying to go back to sleep since i didn't have to be up until 8am.

When the time eventually came, I was all washed and dressed with 40 minutes left to spare (not going well so far :p). 9am came, and the first orientation was a tour around the campus. Without being a massive university it sure is big. Starting the tour and one thing is very obvious....the location. Sat at the foot of the San Bernardino mountains, it is truly stunning. This picture only captures the tip of the sheer beauty that lies just beyond the university
Putting that to one side, after the tour, i had to enroll in classes, since i couldn't get my student I.D card without them. After an hour of getting lost, i finally met my course advisor, who enrolled me in my Autumn classes (nearly said Fall instead of Autumn). After that, i was told i had to wait 48 hours before I could get the card, what a bummer....

Having met a few really nice people on the tour, I proceded to spend the rest of the day with them. Zack's a lucky guy he comes from 20 minutes down the road and David is from Minnesota,bothproper American through and through. Then there's Julianne, who's one of the residential assistants, so she volunteers to be nice (bad joke, please forgive me).

Once the orientations had finished and we got bored of walking around, we left for a while, to meet up later to play some games with the Student Union. I joined up with my flatmate Adrian(the German guy, very nice) and David from the orientation to try our luck on the "baggage claim", an obstacle course where you run around a baseball bat on your head, put on some very large clothes, hop through a small obstacle course, strip off and run to the finish. I was against Adrian in the race (yes yes English vs German, insert your own jokes here). turns out it was a photo finish and both of us declared the winner.

We then proceeded to meet Adrians friends, which turned out to be a real laugh. Obscure topics about why soccer should be called Football, how we get snow in southern california, and a bizarre discussion about Hitler, even though there were 2 germans in the group who seemed surprisingly happy to discuss it, however briefly.

We then turned to the English accent and all the things the Americans love about it. One realised from Yorkshire and insisted i use the phrase "going T pub" about 500 times.

Nevertheless we split, and we're meeting up in 3 hours for a nice game of Capture the flag.

First day = Huge success

Lots more to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment